- Elmer's School Glue (washable, safe, non-toxic)
- Empty nail polish bottle
- Polish of choice
- Cuticle pusher (optional)
- Transfer some craft glue to an empty nail polish bottle and apply to clean bare nails as a base coat
- Allow the glue to completely dry. It will turn clear (slightly matte) and be non-sticky to the touch
- Apply any polish and topcoat as you normally would. Shown here is three coats of Shimmer Melissa with a topcoat.
- When you are ready to remove the polish, take a plastic cuticle pusher (or just use your other nails) and starting at the base of the nail and gently lift the edge
- Continue to peel the polish off
- Tada! Removing glitter polish has never been this easy. Wash hands to remove and remaining glue residue and you are done!
Enjoy your manicure!
I will definitely be wearing glitter more often now! A little bit of waiting for the "base coat" to dry is nothing compared with the pain of glitter polish removal!
How long does it last?
That will depend on whether someone picks at their nails or not. Using the craft glue as a base coat will certainly not last as long as other base coats especially for those who pick at their nails. For those who are not pickers it can easily last for a few days. I've tried it a few times and it has lasted perfectly for a full day of wear until I chose to remove it. It easily survived through showers and dish washing which was my primary concern with a water based glue...
Is it safe?
Craft glue is safe and non-toxic. Children for generations have used this in schools, some I'm sure have even eaten it (although I would not recommend that). I will venture to say it is much safer than soaking your nails in acetone to remove glitter...
Really brings back childhood memories of putting glue on my hand and letting it dry just to peel it off later...
Have you tried this technique? Let me know what you think of this or if you have any questions! :)
UPDATE: Gina of Soguesswhat11 did a fantastic test wear video of this technique. Take a look to see how it holds up to days of wear compared to a regular base coat and even basecoat under glue!
Thanks for looking!